Saturday, June 5, 2010

The Upside Down Church


I have been trying to find the location of the upside down church for a few months now. I remembered seeing it one time when I got lost but couldn't remember where I had been at the time. This week my husband mentioned to me that he had found it. The surprising part was it was in one of my favourite neighbourhoods to shoot!

The church made it's debut at Venice Biennale, a major art exhibit, in 1997. Creator Dennis Oppenheim called it the "Device to Root Out Evil." It's original home was in Vancouver but it was met with much controversy. Some residents said it was disrespectful to the church while others said it simply ruined their view of the harbour. Either way Calgary lucked out. It was brought to the city by the Glenbow Museum.

No comments:

Post a Comment