Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Rates Increasing in January

I wanted to give everyone a headsup that session fees will be increasing as of December 31st, 2011.

Now normally I don't compare myself to others. I've never liked doing that. But, as my 2nd year milestone in professional photography is coming up, I am faced with a year end evaluation.

Most photographers in my line charge well over $100 for a 45 minute session, where you only get 10-15 photos on your disc. And then prints cost more. Or they have sitting fees. I don't believe in making photography expensive but I don't believe in undervalueing it either.

But why is the rate increasing?
A 1 hour photo session can take up to 1 hour of prep time, 2 hours of driving, gas, mileage, parking within the city limits. It wields anywhere from 1.5-4 hours of photo editing, administrative duties and then there's the cost of supplies. So sometimes when you break it down, I don't even earn $10 an hour. The increase is to cover these costs, as well as to place a fair value on the skills and techniques I have been learning as well as equipment I have been accumulating.


So how will this effect my session?
All sessions booked, with signed photo agreements, before December 31st will be charged as per the $60 rate.

If you want to buy a session for someone else and get the $60 rate, it must be purchased before December 31st and the session must be booked and held before March 31st. After that point they will be charged any additional charges as dictated by the 2012 pricing.


All sessions booked after December 31st will be subject to the new pricing, which works as follows...

Informal/Candid Session $80
These sessions are have a fun photojournalistic feel to them. They are usually at an outside location or in clients' home.

Home Studio Session $80
I'm happy to be able to offer this option now. I'm currently developing a home studio at my home in the South East of Calgary. Here I can guarantee a wide variety of props and backgrounds, as well as the convienance of clients not having to feel like I'm invading their home.

Mock Studio $100
Want a portrait session but don't want to have to leave your home? I will gladly come to you! I'll set up a mock studio with paper backgrounds and props and come to your home. These are great for milestone sessions (like birthdays or cake smashes.)


What does the deal include?
Everything else still stays the same! You'll still get your sneak peak with 72 hours and your disc within 5 weeks. A 1 hr. photo session anywhere within city limits for a maximum of 4 people/subjects. All costs will still include your disc and there is no limit to the number of edited photos on your disc. You will still own the rights to your photos.

No comments:

Post a Comment